Join us on this exciting journey as we delve into the latest research on selling, and uncover the key factors that drive sales success. From the impact of voice quality and body language, to the role of empathy and grit, we'll explore how sales professionals can harness these crucial elements to build stronger relationships with their customers and close more deals.
You'll also learn about the latest research on each topic and their impact on sales performance. Whether you're a seasoned sales professional or just starting out, this podcast is a must-listen for anyone looking to take their sales game to the next level. Tune in now to discover how to mesh the latest sales practices with fundamental skills and become a sales powerhouse!
01:15 - René’s Basketball Dreams
05:00 - “René, you learn how to sell.”
08:55 - The more things change, the more things stay the same
11:15 - What HASN’T changed
15:40 - “I am sold myself”
17:30 - Skills that never go away
24:15 - The science that validates what we already know
30:10 - The relationship between grit & sales performance
32:30 - Recap
34:30 - MeetRene.com
While the selling profession has undergone significant changes in the last 20 years, some fundamental principles remain unchanged. These include:
- Building relationships: Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with customers remains a cornerstone of successful selling.
- Understanding customer needs: Sellers must have a deep understanding of the customer's needs, challenges, and goals in order to provide solutions that meet those needs.
- Active listening: Effective sellers are good listeners and pay close attention to the customer's concerns, questions, and feedback.
- Communication skills: The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, is critical for successful selling.
- Product knowledge: Sellers must have a deep understanding of their products and services, including their features, benefits, and limitations.
- Problem-solving: Sellers must be able to identify and solve problems, both for the customer and in their own sales process.
- Time management: Effective time management is crucial for sellers, as they must balance multiple tasks, priorities, and deadlines.
- Adaptability: The ability to adapt to changing market conditions, customer needs, and new technologies is essential for success in selling.
- Confidence and resilience: Confidence and resilience are important qualities for sellers, as they often encounter rejection and challenges in their work.
- Ethical behavior: Ethical behavior and integrity are essential in selling, as customers must trust the seller to make the right decisions on their behalf.
"The Influence of Salesperson Behavior on Customer Trust and Attitude: An Integrative Model" by Jagdish N. Sheth, Atul Parvatiyar, and Girish Shambu (Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2000)
"The Role of Body Language in Sales Negotiations: An Empirical Study" by Richard P. Bagozzi, Luigi Guizzo, and Ya-Ru Chen (Journal of Business Research, 2007)
Voice Inflection or Quality:
"The Impact of Salesperson Voice Quality on Customer Perceptions and Evaluations" by Steven J. Skarlicki and David R. Kelly (Journal of Marketing Research, 1999)
"Empathy in Sales Encounters: Conceptualization, Measurement, and Impact on Salesperson and Customer Outcomes" by R. Eric Reidenbach and Douglas A. MacKay (Journal of Marketing, 2002)
"The Relationship between Grit and Sales Performance: Evidence from Field Studies" by Angela L. Duckworth, Paul A. G Bavishi, and Matthew J. O'Connell (Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 2017)
Note: These studies were published in peer-reviewed journals and may provide a good starting point for further research. It is important to keep in mind that these studies may have limitations and may not be applicable in all sales contexts, and that more recent studies may have different results and conclusions.